READ: Ephesians 5:25-32
- During the Enough series the word more has taken a real rap on the chin. People are almost afraid to think of anything they need more of. Yet there is at least one area of life where we constantly need more: Life Change. Paul offers that here. There is far more that is changed than just no longer stealing. God not only redeems our hands, but also our lips (v25, 29), our emotions (v26), and our hearts (v31-32).
- Saying, “Yes” to Jesus means saying, “Yes” to changes in all areas of our life. The way we speak changes, our attitude towards others changes, our response to God changes and our status with God changes. Some of the changes are top down; God changes us. We move from alien to family, from lost to found, from guilty to forgiven. Those are things that happen through the direct action of God.
- But there are other changes that happen from the bottom up. They are things that we do in response to what God has done. We take control over our actions—our stealing, our hurtful speech, our belittling language, our angry attitudes and bitter hearts. It’s not that we change all that on our own; we’re not powerful enough to do that. But, when we cooperate with God and we do our part to make sure that our new life reflects the One who gave us that new life. Playing a role in the process doesn’t make it any less grace-driven.
- In which of these areas of your life are you seeing change?
- In what areas are you sensing resistance?
- Why do you resist the changes God is seeking to make?
PRAY: Commit to being pliable in the hands of God. Agree with God that He can continue reshaping you. Pray for changes to come to you that make you more like Jesus.