READ: Acts 16:16-34
- Acts 16 is filled with interesting responses. Paul responds to the Holy Spirit and obeys His calling to change directions in his ministry. Lydia responds to the gospel of Jesus and gives her life in allegiance to Jesus. Paul responds strongly to the demon possessed girl announcing Paul’s presence (even though what she said was true). The owners of the girl respond selfishly to the loss of income. The Romans respond viciously by beating and imprisoning Paul and Silas.
- God responds with an earthquake. Paul responds by graciously staying in prison. The jailor responds by asking what to do. Paul responds by preaching Jesus. The jailor responds by being baptized and then demonstrating his new faith by taking care of Paul and Silas. In light of all those responses, the question becomes, what will we do when we hear the gospel of God. Will we respond?
- Once the jailor heard the gospel of Jesus, he responded with obedience. He chose to trust the words of Paul and Silas about a God he was just meeting. He was adequately convinced that Jesus could do more than protect him from an earthquake, He could forgive his sins and create a relationship with him. He said a strong “Yes.” Not only did he repent and be baptized, he immediately began to serve others.
- Describe your response to God. Is it halting? Immediate? Begrudging? Excited?
- In what ways does the response of the jailor surprise you?
- How can we become more responsive to God’s movement in our lives?
PRAY: Commit to being responsive to God’s movement in your life. Pray for a submissive heart. Ask God to be patient with you as you cultivate a spirit of response.