READ: Philippians 1:3-11
- This time of year is always a season of anticipation. We’re days away from turning the calendar into a new year. We have anticipation of new experiences and/or dreads of what’s coming. We anticipate because we know there are events that are going to happen. The challenge is to learn to anticipate what God is going to be doing in the midst of all that does happen.
- The question of the hour is, “How can we participate with God”-in what He does?” And “How can we participate with those God is working in and through to make sure what God is doing gets done with us instead of in spite of us?” Paul’s response to even the hard times he experienced, was that it was a participation in the gospel.
- So, whether we are participating in the sharing of Christ or suffering with and for Christ, we are in it with Him. That’s the essence of participation—being in it with someone. As a church, we talk a lot about community—what we’re really speaking of is Biblical fellowship (the same word as participation). We’re anticipating a year of participating with God and His plans.
- What are you anticipating (dreading?) for 2019?
- What would you like to partner with God in doing this coming year?
- How can you be a more involved participant with God?
PRAY: Thank God for His plans and purposes. Pray for your role in God’s plans. Commit to being an active participant with God.