READ: Romans 6:15-23
- Slavery to sin leads to negative consequences. Verse 16 tells us the result is death. According to verse 19 lawlessness leads to even more lawlessness. The wrap up is found in verse 23; slavery to sin ultimately leads to death. In other words, there are no positive consequences that result from giving your allegiance to sin. It always ends the same way, death (spiritual, emotional and physical).
- On the other hand, slavery to obedience leads to righteousness (v16). Slavery to obedience ultimately leads to being set free from sin (v18). According to verse 19, slavery to righteousness leads to sanctification (the process of being made holy). Paul goes on to say that slavery to God leads to bearing the fruit of righteousness which results in sanctification and thus to eternal life (v22). In other words, slavery to Christ leads to all things good.
- All our choices lead to consequences. The only question is, what kind? In this case, the contrasts are clear. Choose your master wisely, because one master lies. He tells you to be free and unencumbered. Life will be good. It ends in death. The other master tells you the truth. Be a slave to obedience, to righteousness, to God. At times it will be hard. In the end and on the journey, life.
- Describe a time when the consequences reminded you just how bad a choice was.
- Ponder a time when your choices produced positive and enjoyable fruit.
- Currently, who is your master? Why?
PRAY: Commit to being a slave to obedience. Pray for the wisdom to choose Jesus as your master. Commit to the life God has in mind for you.