READ: Matthew 5:27-30
- Certainly, pornography is not the only current problem we face that fits this text. Just normal everyday life gives people multiple opportunities to lust. A trip to the grocery store can expose a person’s eyes to a billboard, an advertisement or a fellow shopper that can create issues for one trying to be faithful. And most are reticent to think of television as pornographic. After all, we’re watching something at prime-time where content is restricted by the networks. We don’t go to R-rated movies (and certainly never NC-17 or X).
- The percentage of people who view pornography is overwhelming. It is always available in just a click or two on the internet (whether by your phone or computer). No longer does a person have to go through the checkout line with a magazine that might incriminate them. They see in a Victoria’s Secret ad what most men were seeing in Playboy in the 1960s. And the age at which we are exposed to real pornography keeps dropping. Currently, the estimates are that 11 years old is the average age of first exposure (some studies say as young as 8).
- We do know that surveys show that 90% of men and 60% of women have been exposed to pornography by age 18. Studies show that the only sex-education being received by most young men is what they see on line. Then, they expect that to define all relationships with women. It’s making marital sex almost impossible to enjoy. It’s creating a violent culture and one that lends itself to infidelity. Why would we expect young people to practice fidelity to one person when their primary education is promoting as much sex as possible with as many different people as possible?
- When were you first exposed to pornographic images?
- How do you go about preventing such exposure?
- Why do you think so many “experts” suggest that pornography is not negatively impacting us?
PRAY: Seek forgiveness for any failures you’ve had in this area. Pray that you can live faithfully toward God as well as your spouse (even future spouse). Ask God to help you control your eyes and mind.