A History of Innovation and Mission
Union Bible School developed from a mission work commissioned by First Christian church in 1896. A chapel was dedicated in 1907 and in 1911 Union Bible School became the second Christian Church in Quincy. In 1929, after meeting in Madison School for several years, Madison Park Christian Church dedicated their first building at 25th and High Streets. A building expansion took place in 1958. In 1968, Madison Park became a congregation independent of denominational ties.
God blessed the congregation with growth that demanded going to two worship services in 1970. In 1974, 78 people were commissioned to plant Payson Road Christian Church which has since become The Crossing. In 1983, several members helped to establish Faith Christian Church on north 12th street. Following several attempts to locate sufficient property for the church to grow, God opened the door to the Jacks building at 48th and Broadway (our current facility).
The congregation moved into the building in 1990 (while it was still being remodeled) and has since done its best to maximize this facility for the ongoing work of the kingdom. In ensuing years numerous renovations have occurred. The new lobby space was added, the buildings were reconnected (at entrance D), the warehouse was remodeled for multiple uses, the Garage was developed for kids worship, and office complexes were added.
Throughout the years God has provided needed staff that have served the congregation faithfully as they have participated in God’s activity. Madison Park has also been blessed by caring and visionary elders that God used to move the congregation purposefully into the future.
In 1986 the elders sought the counsel of a consulting agency which resulted in a period of steady, significant growth. It was under their advisement that the creative use of a former department store was done. As is always the case in churches, changes continued to take place. Prayerful evaluation and investigation led the elders and staff to develop a clearer vision for Madison Park. In 2010, we began to highlight our vision of facilitating Life Change—something we believe captures the essence of being disciples of Jesus. We adopted a simple threefold strategy to accomplish our mission. We seek to Encounter God in meaningful ways (worship and interaction with God’s people), Connect with God’s people around God’s word (discipling believers), and Serve one another, the community and the world.
Again, in 2011, another consulting ministry was utilized. It had become apparent decisions needed to be made for the future. Space was growing more and more limited in the worship space and parking was becoming an issue. A year of intense evaluation resulted in a decision to seek out a second site through which to expand our outreach to the community.
In the spring of 2012 we focused our attention on our Relentless pursuit of God. Since He has relentlessly pursued us, we would relentlessly pursue His purpose, His people, and His presence. A vision campaign was held in April resulting in commitments of $1.68 million to address the need for a second site. That vision would include upgrading our current facility, adding appropriate staff, and securing a second location in which to meet.
We continue to pursue God’s vision for us while we seek a second location. In the meantime, since we are committed to letting no obstacle interfere, we have added a second worship venue in the east end of the building (the warehouse).
In addition, we’ve further pursued ministry to our city. We are actively involved with Horizons Social Services, New Start Men’s Ministry, and we provide backpacks of food for children at Washington elementary school.
Our Current Situation
The leaders of Madison Park continually seek God’s direction as we move forward. We continue to seek the means to reach the un-churched of our communities. More and more efforts are being put forth to provide ministry to people with real needs throughout our area. We continue to look for a second site even while seeking to multiply our outreach through the use of current facility. We believe God has more innovative, purposeful history to write at Madison Park.