READ: Matthew 6:9-13
- At the beginning of 2018, we’ll be asking God to do what Jesus told us to ask Him. We’ll ask Him to do “his will on earth as it is in heaven.” It’s not like God doesn’t know what He wants to have happen. He’s already decided and announced His will for His people. Unfortunately, we don’t often do what we know. And certainly, in our broken world, not everything is happening as God might will.
- The Lord’s Prayer sets the stage for the next few months. Not in the sense of looking in detail at the prayer itself, but using the prayer to prompt us to consider what God is looking for. We’ll start with “Hallowed be thy name” and look at some characteristics of God in the Psalms. Then, we’ll use Matthew’s gospel to look at some of the specific requests Jesus says we should make. We’ll especially concentrate on the Kingdom idea.
- After considering God as King and we as His subjects, we’ll look at Ecclesiastes to see what temptations we should be prepared to avoid. God really does want to answer the requests established by the Lord’s Prayer. He wants to do His will among us. He wants us to submit to His Kingship. He wants to give us our daily bread. He wants His will done on earth…and He’s going to expect us to help character that out.
- Commit yourself to God’s rule in your life. Evaluate places where He may not be ruling.
- What parts of God’s will do you think are most often ignored?
- Why do you think we have to be reminded to seek God’s will?
PRAY: Ask God to prepare you for the challenges of the coming year. Pray that you are open to whatever God’s will might mean for your life. Commit yourself to faithfulness before God.