READ: 2 Timothy 1:3-14
- In Paul’s final communication with Timothy, he reminds Timothy of his deep heritage. Timothy’s mother (Eunice) and grandmother (Lois) were both faithful believers in Jesus. They effectively passed that faith along to Timothy. It’s a pretty remarkable situation given how early in the life of the church that we are introduced to Timothy. Lois must have been one of the early adopters of this new faith, which she passed along to her daughter, and then to her grandson.
- There is no substitute for faithful family passing along their beliefs and confidence in Jesus. Unfortunately, not everyone has faithful family. In which case, there has to be a substitute…some believer willing to step in and make a difference. Think about your own situation. Was it a family member, a neighbor, a friend, or some other factor that led you to Jesus? And then ask, who’s going to see you in their faith lineage?
- When we think about our series’ theme, Enough, we have to think about our responsibility to share what we have. Many don’t believe they know enough, or have enough confidence, or are free enough from their old life or their doubts, to be of any use to another generation. But, that is patently not the case. All you have to know is that Jesus is enough for you. That much you can share with someone who may then share it with someone who may share it with a Timothy who impacts the church for generations to come.
- Trace your faith heritage. Where did it begin? How did it get passed along?
- Who are those who might include you in their faith journey? If you can’t name anyone, just think of those you’ve interacted with on a spiritual level. They probably include you in their journey.
- What are you afraid that you don’t have enough of? Doubt? Knowledge? Confidence?
PRAY: Thank God for those who influenced your faith journey. Pray for those who are under your influence (knowingly or not). Ask God to use you to help share another generation of faith.